Blogs Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Why do people love drama so much? (Steve Blake/ Gary Williams Saga)

Ever since I stepped on campus at the University of Maryland 9 years ago I encountered some obstacles. These normal stumbles that most student athletes experience and store away has followed me even to this day due to the "High Profile" nature of being a basketball player at my beloved alma mater.  Being on television (ESPN, CBS, etc...) and the fame notarization has its perks at times but it is a double edged sword. (Speaking from experience)  From the times of my arrogant youth days in a battle of words with former Hall of Fame coach Gary Williams to the recent viral Youtube clip fiasco of a short fist encounter with former Maryland great point guard Steve Blake.  I never wanted to be a "tough guy".  To all the kids, especially athletes, trying to be "hard" is the farthest thing from "gangsta" (cool, admired) its all about being successful, making a decent living, being a leader or self made man and ultimately define your legacy.  That's whats life is really all about to me & not the nonsense!
For the record I have vast professional respect for them and have made amends with both of those men since those incidences.
At Maryland, as I'm sure is the norm with any winning program, it was a very competitive environment filled with a lot of pressure to win and that competitive nature showed its ugly back side from time to time. Its hard to imagine how much big business being in a major program goes on.  The NCAA program generates millions of bucks annually for the school so the pressure trickles down even to the athlete that's playing for free. (Well a scholarship) I think they should get paid but that's possibly for another discussion. It was easy from the outside looking in at my tenure that it appeared much more dramatic than the situations actually were.  With coach I just was frustrated with us having losing streak and I thought I could save the team by scoring more and taking more of a leadership role in the offense instead of running the "flex" offense which features post play that we were weak at that year.  Now that I am older I realized that it ultimately made me look terrible in the fact that I seemed disgruntled and honestly if I would have done it differently I would not have said anything in the public (media) because it really started an AVALANCHE that still has negatively affected my professional career on the basketball circuit. (All you have in business is your name & reputation)  I instantly became a "villian" being tagged with "Uncoachable", "Selfish" etc... all causing me to not get drafted into the National Basketball Association.  People (Fans & Critics) have always speculated that's the reason I left school because of that but truthfully I had a child that year so I knew I was leaving from the program anyway.  Until now I have never opened up about how that has effected me much openly but it hurt me at that time like no other thing that has ever happened in my career until in 2010 injury.  At that time it seemed like my whole career was snatched from under me because I had felt cheated because of all of the blood, sweat & tears that I had put in up unto that point & I felt talented enough to compete. But it was really a "Blessing in Disguise" because I have been able to travel the world & really learn the hard way the nature of this business away from the comfy coddling that high school AAU & big time NCAA programs provide.  My maturity leadership ability was so far behind what I thought it was that it was a joke. (A boy at heart cannot succeed in a MAN'S business) I had to encounter a rude awakening when I chose to go over seas to pursue my professional career. I was not on long bus rides & "lost in translation" situations.  I had to really grow up fast or I would fail very bad because when you are a professional people chomp at the bit for your spot So you must always produce!  I made some (well a lot) of mistakes in my career but the beauty of being overseas is that I was able to bounce back with the luxury of obscurity that has made me more normal. That's the biggest blessing of my job!!!  Don't get me wrong I would love to make a NBA roster just to tell my kids that I hopefully coach in the future that I made the ultimate level of my profession but if it never happens I'm still good because its a privilege not a God given right to play basketball for your living.
Humbly I admit that: 1)I am not missing a meal 2)Have a beautiful family that loves me unconditionally 3)I've traveled pretty much every continent & have memories for a lifetime. 4)My feelings do get a little hurt when I read negative slanderous comments made via press... But I've learned a while ago that you gotta have tough skin to be of high stature because with success comes jealousy.  I must admit though it's not too shabby of a lifestyle.  People ask me what's my deal all the time when they meet me & I'm ALWAYS grinding to stay improving and getting better with experience because tough times don't last but tough people do.  Last but not least I leave you with as a wise man once said, "Only the Strong Survive."
Peace & God bless,
JG

3 comments:

  1. John: Any of us that ever played an ounce of ball understood the context of your "scrap" with Steve in the vid when it came out - no big deal - I actually admired your restraint as the young buck Frosh vs. Senior top dog PG.

    I always felt you bucked heads with Gary because you were both cut form the same cloth intensity-wise. Things didn't work out your Jr year, but we win as a team, lose as a team - I'd imagine there was a lot going on that season, starting with the Italy trip (if I recall correctly). The tough thing was hopes were very high coming off the amazing ACC crown.

    What I like most of your post is how you speak of your growth since going overseas. I've read a few players write about how it's been the best experience of their lives. I am happy for you that you have a family you love, are enjoying your career, and still love our beloved Terps. I wish for you to enjoy the rest of your career and for you to continue having a fulfilling life!

    PS - You were at Walt's BBQ get together recently? We saw the photos! Seemed like a great time.

    Regards, @Terptek

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I am a Maryland grad and a Terps fan, and followed your collegiate career as closely as was possible without having inside knowledge. I have to admit that I was one of the people who criticized you. The truth is, I don't regret that, nor would I take it back. However, it seems that you have grown a great deal, through the humility you've learned overseas, and I hope that you continue to thrive as a person and as a player, and manage to get a chance in the NBA (if, for nothing else, only for the satisfaction of knowing that you had made it to that level). I think that you will have a lot to teach the next generation of players. Keep fighting.
    Josh Walters
    UMD class of 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JG, i have such a tough time reading this because you were what we call...a mentor. I looked up to you and forever will as a ballpplayer and someone who understood the game. People will always clahs heads but your drive was unparalleded. Thats what is part of MD basketball. Profit had it , NCM had it, u had it, Greivis and Hayes had it You were a teacher for me and if you watched my game now, no doubt you'd see me in you (possibly the same fire) Thanks for what you did with this program and you honestly are a legend here

    ReplyDelete