Blogs Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Seeing the Light at End of the Tunnel (Post Rehab Stage)

After months and months of constant training and enduring a brutally strenuous rehabilitation process, I am proud and optimistic to say that
 "I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!"
Not to speak so much retrospectively but this past year has been an athletes worst nightmare as far as the work load just to regain things that seemed so easy and often taken for granted into tough tasks to complete.  I have a new found respect for the handicap individuals because it is no joke trying to attempt things on crutches and things of that nature.  Honestly I could not have done anything without my Heavenly father but just as important was my wife Mikaela who literally saved me from losing my mind and going through a major depressed state.  I literally felt my world came to an screeching halt when I was informed I would not be able to play ball for a while since (Feb 2,2010).  Obviously the time that it would take depended on my body's strength level that would only be obtained through EXTREME work ethic and pure self belief.  I can still remember when it happened in a professional game in Melbourne Australia in which I was taunting the opponents in how well I was playing and the type of season I was having as well.  I had offers on the table for Latvia, Puerto Rico to name a few and many things were starting to look bright for the future at that point and in a drastic second things just changed negatively when I slipped on a wet spot and twisted my leg awkwardly.  It was tough at that time to handle but I am spiritualy convinced that it was a bigger reason for this experience as in God trying to save me for something else because I mabey had been going down the wrong road. It is not easy to reminisce of this time but
"I'm a firm believer in the fact that Time heals all wounds Physically, Emotionally and most important Physiologically."
 I believe that the mental aspect of this whole process was the biggest hurdled to overcome.  It is hard to realize, for someone that has not only fell in love with sports since a child but made it to the professional ranks as a main source of income, that he can accept it not being available FOR THE FIRST TIME.  It definitely was a HUGE pill to swallow.

"I felt God was literally trying to wake me up and tell me to simply Count my BLESSINGS"

because I was taking it for granted until that point to say the least.  When things are going well for a while it is easy to start to think you are special or that you are in control but I had to be floored with the reality that it can be taken away at any time so it's to be treasured.   I'll admit I had many sleepless nights.  But ultimately it has made me a much STRONGER man because I believe in,
"What doesn't kill you only makes you Stronger"
During the Rehab process I also recently returned College Park to pursue my bachelors degree in American Studies (History). This was the first step to becoming sane again because it gave me other ways to use my mind in a constructive way and allowed me to really enjoy being a regular student without the pressure of being a student athlete like I was classified before.  Speaking from experience its kinda hard to concentrate on a test when you have Duke as an opponent that week. Moving along I completed my classes that semester for 15 weeks I traveled 4 hours back and forth on the weekend by bus to attend my classes and stayed in a hotel during the week which was even more expensive.  I came out of my pocket a lot people believe me.  Money is valued upon what you invest it in and education always has a good return so I feel proud of my decision.  Anyway during this process I was able to meet all of the new staff at the school and was able to see my old coach Willams when I used the facilities to train.  He was a stand up guy especially now that he saw my growth from a kid to a man he really treated me with respect as I showed him and it was a beneficial encounter.  I was able to see a few games that was great all the while getting stronger.  Fast forwarding to now after 5 classes finished this year and I'm officially a senior now with only 10 classes left till I graduate I cannot complain about my academic standings.  I am chipping away at them via online courses at the moment.  Special thanks goes to coach Keith Booth and Nataosha Criss the Maryland Basketball Team Academic Advisor for getting me straight I know she got tired of my questions but she was very helpful.
I feel like this post is a bit of a bore so Imma finish off by saying that I am close to playing if you guys have been following my VLOGS (Video Blogs) for the technically illiterate lol on YouTube or my other various online post I have been keeping to have the people up to date with my progress.  I has been making alot of move and that's non stop and the recipe for anyone who wants to be successful. Thanks for all the feedback by the way.  It is very helpful as food for though to read and gives me constant things to ponder on while moving foward.  I just had my first Winter League game tonight and I played well from all the people in the crowd responses so I am happy to entertain again. I have actually been in talks with some teams because people ask me what's my deal but with he lingering Global financial Recession and more recently this NBA lockout going on, it's evident that it has effected the business of "Basketball" in general.  Let's be honest nobody wants to work this hard to play for free.  So as an athlete, you really cannot complain about the situation, you just gotta keep improving and staying in shape and prepared for when you get the phone call for a tryout.  The extra time has actually been benefitial for me personally because I am getting stronger by the week and that's my main obstacle getting my left leg back to par with my other in which is happening as you read this.  With weekly Yoga sessions, daily lap swimming, sand jogging, skating, pick up basketball games at the Rec center, Weight room everyday(Mostly Squats/ Leg Presses/Hammys/Quads), I am GRINDING to say the least, also with assistance of a couple of professional trainers but mostly I'm in the lab alone old school style constently working on my craft. 
"After I recorded my first dunk a few months back and my wife and I actually broke out and cried tears of joy about it together."
That honestly pretty much sums up this whole story in a nutshell because it's been an emotional rollercoaster. 
The journey of a sportsman has many peaks and valleys, twists and turns but at the end of the day you have to be tough enough, smart enough and blessed enough to survive in this game.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts.  I'm honored to be able to share with you all.  I'm tired so until next time Peace out Blog Nation.

Sincerely Yours,
John Gilchrist

No comments:

Post a Comment