Blogs Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

On the Road again...

Hello friends and Greetings from Banka Bystrika Slovakia.  Lord knows this is definitely another twist or turn of the sail in my journey through this basketball adventure that has been filled with peaks and valleys but all for the love of the game.  I had received an offer from my agent Austin Walton about an opportunity here a week prior and as I am sure that you guys that are reading this is aware that through strenuous training I have been relentlessly pushing to return to the basketball court.  I honestly did not care the least bit about the situation, just as long as their were good training facilities to continue my training progress that I was on at home because that is my number one priority right now, Getting Stronger and Better Everyday!!!  This place has a good weight room, a racket ball court in my hotel, bowling alley, cool mall 15 minute walking distance (when my wife visits of course), swimming pool and spa as the selling points. The flip side of the coin (And not to sound arrogant just keeping it honest) with all those cool things is that this place actually lacks a few of the perks I have grown accustom to in my career thus far like excellent weather/ large English speaking population (Whats up to all my people in Australia & Israel!!! Do your research on my 2 favorite countries so far...)  I've had very nice (sometimes beach front) apartments, rental car, satellite television, high speed internet, higher salary, plane travel to games, luxury hotel suites on road and other little things that bigger clubs provide just to make your stay abroad more comfrtable.  Once again, Please do not think that I am complaining because after suffering a career altering injury it is an absolute blessing simply to be able to take these steps back up the ladder in my profession.  I already know that teams was gonna use that excuse not to pay me what my talent is worth from the start but I am more than wiling to do what I have to to prove how hard and that I have worked to become an even better professional.  My main concern once again is to be able to go to practice everyday because I know I am gaining fitness as well as gauge myself with staying up with the guys and playing at a professional level daily.
"So I am taking the humble, blue collar working man approach to say the least."
Here's the turn in events though: At the moment I am in Slovakia and if you don't know about European fall/winter it can get brutal with snow up to your knees at times. So you mix that with the fact that myself and the two other Americans have to walk everywhere everyday sometimes 20-30 minutes will become a mental task eventually.  I am trying to keep the faith. Next my coach seems like a good guy that's had his share of basketball knowledge and I have learned that learning new philosophies will always make me wiser in the end wants a point guard that rarely shoot unless necessary situations (shot clock, etc...).  That is gonna take an adjustment mindset from the American style of basketball to the European FIBA type of the sport period.  The main adjustment is the physicality, court awareness, pick & Roll ability, poise and shooting accuracy that any good guard must possess to make that Euroleague salary.  Its a totally different game here than in American less athletic but way more fundamentally sound.  We actually drill the same basic stuff for hours. We played a game the next day I landed off the plane I didn't even know I would suit up but that's just a small test.  You always have to be prepared but I did not know that I was on the same team as 3 major guards here in this country so basically its looking like role player time?!?  I played 8 minutes that kinda hurt my ego.  Two days later we played another game and I played only about 10 minutes this game. Now with all of these facts being thrown at you I am obviously having to focus on the task at hand which is my personal vendetta to return to form.  Don't get me wrong I want the team to win as bad as anyone else and I go out and play hard when I am asked to do so and practice hard everyday some days twice a day as well as going to the weight room in the free days we have off.
Arriving off the plane in European Airport

"It is hard to be in a freezing cold place alone, not playing much, busting your butt to make less than half of what you've made in even your worst contract to prove to yourself and others that you can get back to that level you was able to perform at before.  That Ladies and Gentlemen is my MOTIVATION!"
It is a maze that I am finding my way through but all for the love of the game at the same time.  I can honestly say that when God sees me through this situation I have been one battle tested man and I will truly appreciatively embrace and recognize the situations that I often took for granted before.  I know in fact that this is a test on many levels.  They are watching my attitude in being a role player at the moment when I am actually performing well in practice, respecting their customs and being polite even when being yelled at by the coach. Ive been down that road before so I understand its nothing personal. I am just an employee on line and my job is to help the TEAM win and not just John.  I am winning just by playing again and at the end of the day just as long as I am gaining my strength, rhythm, skills, situation awareness and swagger back.  FYI: To all the Suits (Team Owners, General Managers & People that write the checks) that are checking up on my thoughts if you thought I played hard before whoa...  "Honestly when I am done with this test its gonna be like letting a caged animal lose to whoever signs me next. Mark my words!"
Thanks for reading my first week thoughts of my life in Slovakia and more to come if you all were wondering what was up with me. I am fine just trying to make a situation that is not necessarily perfect for me the best time spent to get to my destination. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment